|Monday, 06 July 2009 09:25|
Cornelius K. Smith, M.D., a board certified urologist who has practiced at Dreyer Medical Clinic since 1983, has been named the recipient of the 2008 Dr. John W. Dreyer Award of Excellence.
The official announcement came from Chairman of the Board, Jon E. Christofersen, M.D., during the June quarterly meeting of the physician group.
Dr. Smith was chosen from individual nominations submitted to the Dreyer Medical Group board of directors, a governing group composed of seven practicing physicians. Their final selection was based on a global assessment of a number of key areas of physician performance. Dr. Smith’s contributions to the Clinic include serving on the board of directors throughout the 1980s and 1990s, chairing and serving on the Clinic’s financial committees, and chairing the building committee responsible for construction of Dreyer’s Highland.
“Dr. Smith clearly exemplifies the values and philosophy first espoused by our founder, Dr. John Dreyer, in the first half of the twentieth century,” noted Dr. Christofersen. “It’s very gratifying to see Dr. Dreyer’s outstanding example of compassionate service and clinical excellence carried on by the doctors like Dr. Smith here today.”
Dr. Smith received his undergraduate degree from Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, and earned a medical degree from Cornell University Medical School in New York, New York. In 1983, he completed an internship and urological residency with Northwestern University in Chicago. Dr. Smith currently sees patients at the Clinic’s Highland location. He has hospital affiliations with Provena Mercy Medical Center and Rush-Copley Medical Center.
Dr. Smith is committed to the advancement of the clinical practice of urology, and has served on both the Chicago and Illinois State Urological Societies as an officer, ranging from Secretary/Treasurer to President. He resides in Naperville and enjoys sports, especially golf, and spending time with his wife and three children.
The Dr. John W. Dreyer Award of Excellence was created in 2002 during the 80th anniversary of the Clinic. Dr. Smith is the seventh physician to receive this high honor. Previous winners were Fred V. Kemp, M.D.; Michael C. Loebach, M.D.; Steven J. Sapyta, M.D.; Richard I. Angell, M.D.; Sheryl Pastryk Snyder, M.D.; and John N. Blair, M.D.
The Award is crafted of crystal and engraved with an image of Dr. Dreyer on his bicycle. The early area practitioner, who came to Aurora in 1905, had a reputation for making house calls on a bicycle. In 1914, he rode his bike to North Aurora during a blinding snowstorm to administer a desperately needed dose of diphtheria vaccine to a young boy. That “house call” saved the boy’s life.